Dec 1, 2011

Gingerbread Biscotti with Dates and Dried Figs

I don't usually experiment with ginger or molasses, and gingerbread cookies were never part of my Christmas cookie requests when I was younger. I've pretty much always been that sweet tooth who wants to bite into a block of sugar or chocolate. I mean, if I'm going to eat a cookie I want it to be something worthy of guilt. It's a treat, by golly!  Now that I'm older...wiser...and older, I can appreciate things like plain spice cookies, figs, dates, candles with scents like "serenity" and "country morning", Regis and Kelly, a nice cup of hot tea, knitting...
Where was I?
This morning, I was torn between making a gingercake or some kind of biscotti. I couldn't make up my mind, so I met in the middle and baked some gingerbread biscotti. I decided to get all crazy and add some dried chopped figs and dates, rather than tossing in some almonds or some other nuts we always see in biscotti. (Wild woman...look out!) I think the result is great! Smells great, looks great, and tastes great...GREAT! See what you think -




Ingredients:


1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup molasses
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped dried figs
1/2 cup chopped dates


Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Beat the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one by one, and then the molasses and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.

On a very lightly floured-dusted surface, shape the dough into a 4"x16" log (mine pictured above does not match the measurements, so please don't mind that!). Transfer the log to the cookie sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes.

Let the log cool at least 10 minutes. Lower the temperature to 300 degrees. Then cut into 1/2"-thick slices. Place sliced pieces on unlined cookie sheets and bake about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to submit baking suggestions here. Only serious inquiries will be published.